POSITION TITLE: OPTOMETRY TECHNICIAN
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Specialty Services Supervisor
WORKSITE: Ravenswood and MayView campuses
The mission of Ravenswood Family Health Network (RFHN) is to improve the health of the community by providing culturally sensitive, integrated primary and preventative health care to all, regardless of ability to pay or immigration status, and collaborating with community partners to address the social determinants of health.
Under general supervision of the Specialty Services Supervisor, operating in a multi-disciplinary team environment, the primary function of the Optometry Technician is to provide direct and indirect support to the clinician in the delivery of patient care. The Optometry Technician prepares the exam room, chart, and prepares patient to be seen by the practitioner and performs/implements orders for diagnostic tests. S/he accurately administers eye drops. S/he routinely arranges outside referral appointments and provides patient education under approved clinical protocols. This position is a member of the practice team supporting PCMH standards and practices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be performed in accordance with RFHN Policies and Procedures
- Prepares the patient and assists the clinician with exams and procedures when needed.
- Performs pre-testing including but not limited to: auto-refraction, auto-keratometry and auto-tonometry.
- Takes detailed patient histories, tests visual acuity, stereo acuity, and color vision, measures blood pressure, performs lensometry.
- Performs frame selects, fits, orders, adjusts and repairs prescription eyewear.
- Performs ocular fundus photography, visual field testing and optical coherence tomography (OCT).
- Assists in the performance of face to face or telephone triage according to triage protocols including documentation of work performed; consults with the supervising practitioner and informs the clinician of the advice/ instructions given or actions taken.
- Prepares the exam room, cleans instruments and stocks rooms in between patients.
- Participates in the morning huddle in order to plan care with the clinician for patients on the schedule today.
- Assumes responsibility for and delegates daily tasks as delineated in “Responsibility for Daily Tasks Summary”.
- Administers eye drops and diagnostic tests/referrals as ordered, completing lab and x-ray requisitions and other services ordered by the clinician.
- Initiates appropriate emergency measures when patients are admitted for urgent care.
- Breaks down patient charts, assuring all diagnostics and referrals have been completed.
- Follows up on referrals on a monthly basis, consults with referrals staff and manages EHR database to accurately reflect referrals status of patients.
- Performs end of shift tasks for room closure and equipment.
- Assures efficient patient flow by ongoing assessment of clinician schedule, and working with other staff to minimize patient waiting time.
- Follows RFHN standards for Universal Precautions when working with potentially infectious materials (blood or body fluids).
- Works cooperatively with any triage nurse to assure that the clinician sees patients as quickly as possible.
- Schedules patients appropriately. Alerts Central Supply or Team leader to needed supplies/equipment as appropriate.
- Reports any safety hazards.
- Participates in the quality improvement process as requested or assigned.
- Fosters an environment that promotes trust and cooperation among all staff.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and employee information according to HIPAA on a need to know basis.
- Attends all RFHN mandatory meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Promotes courteous and professional behavior in all interactions with the public and the staff.
- Other duties as assigned and requested.
- Completion of COVID-19 vaccine series and booster
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Graduate from a Medical Assisting program required.
- Bilingual/biliterate Spanish/English required.
- Bilingual/biliterate Tongan/English highly desirable.
- Basic Life Support certification required.
- Experience in a community clinic strongly preferred.
- Certified Paraoptometric Training (CPOT) certification preferred.
- Ability to read, write, understand and spell English and medical and optometric terminology correctly.
- Knowledge of standard optometric care and procedures.
- Knowledge of Standard Precautions.
- Ability to pass a written medication quiz.
- Ability to memorize, retain and recall pertinent skills and information.
- Knowledge and experience working with electronic charting and scheduling systems.
- Computer literate in a Windows-based environment.
- Detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Current California drivers’ license and ability to travel between clinics.
Ravenswood Family Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants, please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 650.321.8576.
Note: Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please do NOT contact HR to ask for the status of your resume as those calls will not be returned.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com