POSITION TITLE: LACTATION CONSULTANT
FLSA Status: Exempt – Full or Part Time
REPORTS TO: Lactation Program Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Women’s Health and Pediatrics
WORKSITE: Ravenswood Family Health Network, All Sites
The mission of Ravenswood Family Health Network (RFHN) is to improve the health of the community by providing culturally sensitive, integrated primary and preventative health care to all, regardless of ability to pay or immigration status, and collaborating with community partners to address the social determinants of health.
The Lactation Consultant works collaboratively with multi-disciplinary healthcare teams to assure optimum clinical management of lactation to protect, promote, and support breastfeeding. The Lactation Consultant provides education, counseling, and clinical management to promote breastfeeding as the expected norm for infant nutrition. The Lactation Consultant incorporates best practices and evidence based practical applications of the best available current research and address cultural, political and social barriers to breastfeeding and lactation management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be performed in accordance with RFHN Policies and Procedures
- Analyzes all assessment data to develop a plan of care that is both specific to the dyad’s (mother and child) needs and acceptable to the client (mother).
- Evaluates assessment data to develop a plan of care that is both specific to the client’s needs and acceptable to the client within the scope of the Preventative Management Guidelines (PMGs).
- Obtains an appropriate breastfeeding history for the mother and child.
- Plans, develops, coordinates, and provides breastfeeding education and counseling in response to the needs of clients, families, health care team members, and the community.
- Provides education and guidance to all staff that care for breastfeeding dyads to develop and enhance their clinical skills.
- Provides emotional support for continued breastfeeding in difficult or complicated circumstances.
- Attends and participates in RFHN’s staff meetings and local agency meetings as needed.
- Other duties as assigned and requested related to promoting breastfeeding.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
- Completion of COVID-19 vaccine series and booster
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline from an accredited college or university preferred.
- International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) strongly preferred.
- Registered Nursing license preferred.
- Bilingual English/Spanish proficiency at a level appropriate for the safe and effective performance of the job.
- Current certification for Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers required- may be done after hire during the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Ability to adjust communications to fit the needs and level of understanding of the receiver.
- Ability to integrate observation, knowledge, and skills in assessing mothers and children in developing individualized breastfeeding management strategies.
- Ability to provide leadership and influence others.
- Knowledge of computer systems and software used in functional area.
- California Driver’s license and automobile to visit area agencies is required.
- Familiarity with computers in a Windows based environment with applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other programs as needed.
- Demonstrated ability and sensitivity in working with a diverse population of families from various ethnic, socioeconomic, educational and experiential backgrounds.
Ravenswood Family Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants, please submit resume to email@example.com or fax to 650.321.8576.
Note: Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please do NOT contact HR to ask for the status of your resume as those calls will not be returned.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org