POSITION TITLE: HEALTH COACH
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Health Education and Prevention Programs Manager
DEPARTMENT: Health Education and Prevention Programs
WORKSITE: Ravenswood campus
The mission of Ravenswood Family Health Network (RFHN) is to improve the health of the community by providing culturally sensitive, integrated primary and preventative health care to all, regardless of ability to pay or immigration status, and collaborating with community partners to address the social determinants of health.
The Health Coach, as a member of the clinical care team, guides patients to address health issues and provide resources to support patients with chronic health conditions to overcome obstacles to improve health status. The health coach applies knowledge of nutrition, fitness and stress reduction to instruct patients on lifestyle choices and support to change health behaviors. The Health Coach applies motivational skills to support patients to overcome other obstacles that affect their health-related issues and provides referrals for support systems and resources with understanding, appreciation and curiosity of the wide diversity of patients’ backgrounds. Health coaches that are also Medical Assistants (MAs) are able to perform MA duties within the MA scope of practice as well.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be performed in accordance with RFHN Policies and Procedures
- Work closely with the patient’s care team in meeting the organization’s health management goals.
- Meet one on one with patients to review the care plan to identify the need for behavioral change to improve health status, reduce health risks and improve quality of life.
- Counsel and advise patients regarding medication management; how to read medication labels, how to refill medications, and instruct to bring medications or medication list to all appointments.
- Work with patients and providers to reconcile medications.
- Rotate with other health coaches to do group training through the Chronic Disease Self-Management program regarding wellness/healthy lifestyle courses for chronic disease patients and their families.
- Facilitate group sessions that introduce patients to the care model, the patient’s role in achieving healthy lifestyles, and helping patients to set goals for self-management of their chronic illnesses (hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol, etc.).
- Communicate using motivational interviewing and engagement strategies.
- Apply knowledge of chronic illnesses to suggest solutions to improve nutrition and fitness.
- In accordance with approved clinical guidelines and under the direction of licensed providers, suggest exercises, diet charts, meditation or mental stress reducing techniques to patients.
- Communicate with patients in a positive, respectful and empathetic manner and motivate patients to set goals for managing their self-care based on what matters to them.
- Conduct active panel coordination for patients with chronic diseases in order to address care gaps; assure care provided at outside facilities is completed.
- Ensure the care schedules and plans for assigned patients are met; contact patients out of care to reconnect them into care to complete health maintenance and chronic care screenings.
- Measure and accurately record vital signs: pulse rate, blood pressure, body temperature, height, weight; perform fingerstick blood glucose tests and foot exams, and teach patients how to do self-foot exams; conduct retinal screenings.
- Work within the scope of the health coach role and does not provide medical advice or care that is the scope of licensed health care professionals.
- Completion of COVID-19 vaccine series and booster
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
- Medical Assistant certificate required.
- Bilingual Spanish/English proficiency required.
- Current California drivers’ license, proof of auto insurance, and ability to travel between clinics required.
- One year of experience as a Medical Assistant in a community healthcare setting strongly preferred.
- Experience in health promotion and behavior change, wellness, or health education preferred.
- Certification in health coaching from an accredited professional institute is preferred.
- Current Basic Life Support certification.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with electronic health records, Epic a plus.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED
- Knowledge of health maintenance, nutrition and fitness challenges and interventions, chronic diseases and remedial measures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to adapt communication style to audience; strong skills to motivate, inspire and persuade.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to foster trust and respect among patients from diverse language and cultural backgrounds. Ability to counsel clients of all ages and problems.
- Communicates with warmth and confidence.
- Ability to understand and use clinical measures, graphs, and standards to evaluate and improve care.
- Ability to develop and implement a health maintenance plan.
- Able to work with protected health information and maintain absolute confidentiality and privacy in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Ability to organize multiple tasks and manage competing priorities.
Ravenswood Family Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants, please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 650.321.8576.
Note: Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please do NOT contact HR to ask for the status of your resume as those calls will not be returned.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com