COMMUNITY HEALTH ADVOCATE
POSITION Title: NURSING SUPERVISOR
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director of Nursing Services
DEPARTMENT: Nursing Department
WORKSITE: Ravenswood Family Health Network, All Sites
The mission of Ravenswood Family Health Network (RFHN) is to improve the health of the community by providing culturally sensitive, integrated primary and preventative health care to all, regardless of ability to pay or immigration status, and collaborating with community partners to address the social determinants of health.
Under general supervision of the Director of Nursing Services and operating in a multi-disciplinary team environment, the primary function of the Nursing Supervisor is to utilize the nursing process to provide direct and indirect support to the nursing staff in the delivery of patient care. The Nursing Supervisor supervises licensed and non-licensed clinical staff and may perform various aspects of patient care. The Nursing Supervisor is responsible for the training and supervision of all nurses in all clinical departments. She/he performs independent triage and communicates with the clinicians regarding actions taken. Nursing Supervisor is expected to demonstrate critical thinking skills, leadership and appropriate role modeling. This position is a member of the practice team supporting PCMH standards and practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
To be performed in accordance with RFHN Policies and Procedures
- Acts as clinical lead for nursing teams in all departments.
- Establishes and directs the daily workflow of the nursing staff including Triage, Nurse of the Day (NOD), and Nurse Visit assignments for all clinical nurses.
- Responsible and accountable for directing the functions of the nurse staff in assessing, planning, directing, implementing and evaluating the nursing staff.
- Acts as liaison between providers, Director of Nursing Services/ staff and patients.
- Maintains OSHA standards as regulated, monitors appropriate indicators for quality and continuous improvement, implements new programs, trainings and procedures to improve services, operations and efficiency within the clinic and external environment.
- Work with Director of Nursing Services to establish department goals and improvement projects.
- Ensure nursing department priorities and standards based on evidenced based practice are executed.
- Provide clinical guidance, training and support to nursing staff and non-licenses team members
- Ensures the daily/monthly monitoring of quality controls and medication logs; implements appropriate follow-up as necessary.
- Ensures compliance with all infection control and environment of care regulations.
- Assists with review, revision and development of nursing protocols, policies and procedures. Ensures all nursing protocols, policies and procedures are maintained and followed by nursing staff.
- Oversees Nurses rotation to all clinic locations.
- May include regular supervision of clinical and support staff which includes performance planning and work flow management.
- Collaborates with Director of Nursing Services and participates in measuring metrics for the quality improvement process.
- Attends regular meetings, case conferences and Team Lead participation.
- Working with the Director of Nurses, organizes and helps to lead monthly nurse meetings and trainings.
- Communicates effectively and collaborates with members of the multidisciplinary team and specifically all departments of RFHN.
- Acts as Super User for computer applications necessary for documentation, tracking and communication with community partners (EPIC, SMMC EHR).
- Ensures the use of the nursing process (assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation) in patient care and daily activities by all nursing staff.
- Performs monthly chart audits of clinical nursing documentation with Director of Nursing Services and provided feedback to nurses to ensure safe nursing practice and that nurses are working within nursing scope of practice.
- Work with clinical mangers to provide competency skill training for nurses and MA’s in areas of clinical care, environmental safety, and medical documentation.
- Performs diagnostic and laboratory tests including but not limited to EKGs, O2 sat, breathing treatments, vision testing, hearting exams, etc.
- Provides direct patient education and may oversee the provision of patient education by RN, LVNs and MAs.
- Performs independent telephone and face to face triage, co-visits using nursing assessment skills, and protocols.
- Prepares the patient and assists the clinician with exams, co-visits and procedures when needed.
- Documents in paper, electronic record or patient registries according to standards.
- Sets standards of practice for care coordination, including participation in regular work groups with community partners.
- Assures efficient patient flow by ongoing assessment of clinician schedule, and working with other staff to minimize patient waiting time.
- Works with homeless outreach team to set standards of nursing care when working with homeless shelter, street care and mobile van outreach.
- Fosters an environment that promotes trust and cooperation among all nurses and staff.
- Promotes courteous and professional behavior in all interactions with the public and the staff.
- Responsible for nursing schedules, time off request and time cards.
- Delegates and oversees nurse participation on various committees, projects and meeting as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned and requested.
- Completion of COVID-19 vaccine series and booster
- Graduate of an accredited RN program required, BSN degree preferred with a minimum 4 years of RN experience.
- Two years minimum supervisory experience required.
- Current California RN license and good standing with the California Board of Registered Nurses required.
- Experience and confidence in providing direct care for medically complex patients.
- Current CPR and ACLS certification required.
- Experience in a community clinic strongly preferred
- Bilingual Spanish/English proficiency required
- Must be able to demonstrate computer proficiency with EHR & Microsoft applications: Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Organization and problem-solving skills to handle multi-faceted patient conversations and properly address patients’ needs.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to adapt communication style to audience; strong skills to motivate, inspire and persuade.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to foster trust and respect among patients from diverse language and cultural backgrounds. Ability to counsel clients of all ages and problems.
- Communicates with warmth and confidence.
- Able to work with protected health information and maintain absolute confidentiality and privacy in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Ability to organize multiple tasks and manage competing priorities.
Ravenswood Family Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants, please submit resume to email@example.com or fax to 650.321.8576.
Note: Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please do NOT contact HR to ask for the status of your resume as those calls will not be returned.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org